Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Privilege, Power, and Difference
What Can We Do?
By: Allan G Johnson

Authors Argument:
Johnson argues that topics such as racism, sexism, and other topics of that nature should not be to the side and not taken care of but brought up and recognized as a problem that needs to be fixed.  He argues that in order to fix what the present problems we need to learn form the past and accept what we need to do.  Not only those who have the problems but all those who see and who are surrounded by it.

Quotes:
"It's easy to have opinions, it takes work to know what you are talking about."
I chose this quotes because when I first read it, it reminded me of when that loud person ina crowd thinks they know everything and they are right just because they are the loudest.  When it comes down to the fact of having your own opinion on certain subjects its absolutely right to have them, but when they are degrading and disrespectful that puts you in the wrong.  What Johnson is arguing here is that people just believe that their own opinions are right no matter what evidence is shown, so maybe once in a while we need to step back and realize that we are not always right and to look around before we are that "loud" obnoxious guy in the crowd.

2)  "Make Noise, be seen."
In order to make a change, you need to make a stand.  Sometimes people who have the best intentions don't have the heart to have their great ideas thrown out there.  For change to be had, there needs to be noisiness and a loud voice to be heard over the mess of nonsense.  But still not that "loud" guy. 

3)  "Don't let other people set the standard for you."
Johnson is trying to get across that by your own power and strength and knowledge, you need to stand up and say what you believe in, even if your standing alone.  Not something radical or crazy but for a good moral reason it should be said.  If you know it is right and you want to challenge others, do it.  It's people like that, that get stuff done, that make history, and make change.

Comments:
I really enjoyed this article.  I thought it brought out a lot of passion and it was a good article to end the semester with, see as Johnson is the author we started with.  It was encouraging for me to know that I will stand up for what I believe in and it is ok, because other people are pushing for that too.  I hope everyone follows Johnson's advice as we all go to become teachers.

2 comments:

  1. jared me and you both i know after reading this i am going to be the best teacher i could be and stand up for what i believe in. I am not going to et nothing hold me back from nothing..... I hope you do the same

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say that I agree that it's important to take a stand, when you feel strongly about something.

    ReplyDelete