Monday, March 30, 2009

In the Service of What?
The Politics of Service Learning
by: Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer

Authors Argument:  
The authors are arguing that service learning is very important to be done, but that the focus should be more represented in the democratic way rather than the individuals feelings on service learning.

Quotes:
1) "almost all discussions of service learning practices emphasizes the importance of reflection."
I agree completely with this quote because even with our service learning, when we discuss our VIPS in class I feel I gain more from my experiences than others peoples experiences.  I really think when you look back on the things you accomplish because the more you look back at the good times, the more you learn and take from it.

2) "Similarly many contemporary scholars focus on change over charity and argue that the lack of connection between individual rights and communal obligations within our culture has left us with a bankrupt sense of citizenship."
I think that service learning should be really for oneself and not to change the world.  It is wonderful that people are getting together to save each other and help other people out, but its  great for a personally experience to get you use to a field, or to make you feel better.  Service learning should not be just because people are forcing you to do good deeds.  It should be self motivated because you need to do it for yourself.

3) "The importance of a meaningful reflective component becomes clearer when one considers the kind of deliberation and student empowerment that such a curriculum can foster"
This basically means learn from your experiences.  This is completely true.  The fact of what your learning comes through more, the more you reflect upon it.

Questions/Comments:
I think this is important because I reflect on my service learning all the time and I know that it helps me to realize what I am doing when I think about it.  It think it is more important to realize how you are serving others and why you are doing it because it makes it that much more fuller and meaningful personally.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, when I leave service learning I always reflect back and think of how some situations will help me once I become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete